Saturday, May 16, 2009

My little secret

I've had a personal goal to lose weight since January and here it is May and I am not one pound lighter. So, the other day I decided to try the Special K diet that I am always reading so much about. As I promised you, I researched some more on the MUFA diet I posted back in April, but that would not work for me, because I hate the MUFAs. Anyway, I love cereal, so thought I'd give his one a try.

Today is my Day 3. I signed up online and even have a personal trainer, named Theo. They had two other trainers to pick from, but one was too mellow and the other was too happy. Everyday, Theo sends me an email to help me stay on track. It's pretty cool actually. Below is a copy of the email I received the first day.

Hi Gwenn,

It's Day 1 of your Special K Challenge™. Let's hit the ground running with these few tips to get you started:

Start slowly. If you push yourself too hard at first, you may be forced to abandon your exercise goals because of pain or injury. It's better to start slowly and progress gradually.

Behave at the grocery store. The rule is very simple: If you shouldn't eat it, don't buy it!

Two-minute jumpstart. When you start your day with a little exercise, your metabolism will get the message to start working too. Do two minutes of jumping jacks before you go to work.

Our mission is clear and your target is two weeks away.

Let's roll.

-Theo

Here is some information on the diet:

The Diet ~ You start your day with Special K cereal or one Kellogg's Eggo Special K Waffle with 1oz. light syrup. Whatever option you choose make sure you have two -thirds cup of skim milk and eat some fruit.

Meal 2~ For your second meal, have a Special K Protein Meal Bar or Special K cereal with two-thirds cup of skim milk and fruit.

Meal 3 ~Eat as you normally would.

You can enjoy two snacks throughout the day. Choose from cereal bars, snack bites, protein snack bars, and protein waters all from Special K.

Of course as with any "real" diet you have to partake in regular exercise and if all he ever wants me to do two minutes of jumping jacks before I go to work, this is going to be cake!

The studies show that if you stick to the plan for two week, you can lose weight. The weight loss may vary as it is stated on the box, but the average waist circumference reduction was 1.3 inches. As long as that doesn't come off my chest, I will be psyched!

The Study ~ A study was done through a university and consisted of four groups with diet records and measured body composition. The results to this study prove that you can lose weight by replacing two meals. The average weight loss was 4.4lbs in the two week period. It also recommends that you eat fruits and vegetables and drink your beverages as you normally would.

The Products ~ The Special K website gives you all of the products that they feature. You may design your own personal challenge by answering a questionnaire. After that you may browse through the many different products they have and look at the nutrition labels and ingredients.

If you have been thinking about trying this diet, but haven't started your challenge yet, just take it. If you want to wait and see how my diet goes, that works too. I will tell you that right now, Day 3, I am hungry. I always seem to be hungry on this diet and at 200 calories a meal, I think I know why.

We'll see what Day 4 brings...if I make it that far.

4 comments:

Gloria said...

Don't forget to eat those fruits!

Gayle said...

Good luck!

Amanda said...

I love Special K yum yum, good luck!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Good luck!