Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wrestling Fundraiser


You'll remember that a few months ago, my son, Casey went undefeated in the regular wrestling season, placed first in his LL tournament, and was runner up at the State Open where he advanced to New England’s. Because of his success, in July, Casey will head to Fargo, North Dakota with the Connecticut National Team to wrestle in the Free Style Nationals.

Awesome! Right? Not so much. Don't get me wrong, this is a great opportunity for Casey, but it is going to cost us. Literally. The total trip will cost us over $1000.00. Some of you are probably thinking that we are crazy for even considering it, but its a great opportunity for him and if he want a scholarship in college, these are the things he has to do now. At least that is what I am told.

We however, can't afford to pay $1000.00 to send him there and will be holding a fundraiser. This is not uncommon for the kids taking this trip. However, I don't have any ideas and hope you can help. Has anyone ever conducted a fundraiser for an individual, not a group or organization? My husband wants him to go stand at the local grocery store, but he won't do that. I don't blame him. That just seems weird.

Casey would like to give something to get something, or sell something and keep the profits towards his trip, not just stand with a bucket at the entrance to a grocery store. I like the selling idea, but am not sure what he should sell, candy bars? He have to sell thousands to get enough money in time.
I also told him to reach out to local stores for sponsorship donations, since it would be a tax-deductible donation. I am sure they get asked by the local schools all the time, but its worth a try.

Does anyone have any other ideas? If so, Casey and I would love to hear them.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Let me know what you are thinking of for this and I would love to help!!