Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What sucks!?


I normally do not like that word, but I really need to know....what sucks? I need a new vacuum cleaner. My current vacuum cleaner was purchased 15 years ago for $700. Yup, $700.00! Nuts, right? Right. I know, but I couldn't help it.
He was so young and good looking! Only kidding, I can't remember who it even was, never mind if he was young or good looking. What I do remember, however, is that he was convincing. He must have been, right? After all, he sold me a $700 vacuum!

Not only did he demonstrate how well the vacuum cleaned my carpets, but with a few adjustments, he also showed me how well it shampooed them. His final moment was when he asked me where my bedroom was. No, no, no. Not for that! Good grief! He wanted to suck up my bed mites. Admittedly, it was a little weird watching this stranger pull off my sheets, so he could get at my mattress, but I let him. He started vacuuming my mattress pad and yuck! I am not going to go there, I can't think about mites. Let me just say, Yuck and move on!

Anyway, 15 years later. I need a new one. We all know the importance of a good vacuum cleaner. Mine has moved with us three times and smells more like a dog than our dog does. You know it's bad when even your kids ask you to turn it off.

I can't decide on an upright or a canister. Is the upright better for carpeting, is the canister better for floors and hard to reach places? Some upright cleaners come with a bag to capture the trapped dirt, others are bagless. There is debate as to which is easier to use. Bags vs. bagless? A bagless vacuum would certainly eliminates the inevitable search for the extra bag or the hunt in the store for the right kind, but can sometimes be messy to clean out. Some upright vacuums are lightweight and easy to move around the home and up the stairs. Others, however, are heavy and cumbersome.

I am holding onto a vacuum for a friend, so thought I'd give it a whirl the other day. The canister on it was so heavy, I could barely finish two rooms without having to stop to rest my arm. Who designs these things? If it isn't a guy, it was WonderWoman! I also found that the rotating brush on her upright makes it very efficient for cleaning the dirt out of carpeting, but this same brush scatters the dirt all over the floors.

I know vacuum cleaners have progressed in many ways since my purchase 15 years ago, and the choices are endless, but that is what I hate, endless choices. If any of you have a vacuum that you love and want to recommend to me, please leave a comment here.
I have done a little research and have tried to arm myself with as much information as I can, but in the end, it really is all about how it works in your house. It's not so much about the wattage, airflow or centrifugal force, etc. Its about how it feels and your hands, how well it cleans and if you can move it.

I just can't give anymore time to this "dirty" job.

To leave a comment, just click on the word comment below, type your message in the box and enter your name in the name field and publish your comment. It's that easy!

1 comment:

Gloria said...

There certainly are a lot of choices out there. I will help you look around if you want some company.