Monday, April 5, 2010

Dogs and Chocolate Just Don't Mix


We came home last night from a very nice day/dinner with my in-laws to a living room covered with plastic Easter eggs.

I am not sure what I was more angry with, the fact that the dog ate my 9 year old's entire Easter basket or the fact that dope may have just put his life in danger.

I wasn't sure of the reason, but knew that dogs were not suppose to eat chocolate, so I rushed to the computer to find out why....after dealing with my daughter's tears first of course.

I found that, there is a substance in chocolate called theobromine which poisons dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea and other abdominal issues. Dogs take longer to digest chocolate, so that most likely, I wasn't going to see the symptoms right away. Great, this meant I was going to have to worry all night.

Over consumption of theobromine can lead to seizures,, shock and possibly death.With this in mind, however, it's important to note that different chocolates contain different levels of theobromine, with white chocolate being the least and dark chocolate (think Belgian chocolates) containing the most. The article said if your dog is a 100lb Labrador who ate a Milky Way - you're probably OK, and that it is the smaller dogs you will have to watch - depending on the concentration of theobromine in a small chocolate. My dog is 110 pound Weimaramer, but I am still going to worry.

The following list is in decreasing order of quantities of theobromine:

Cocoa Beans
Cocoa Powder
Plain (Dark) Chocolate
Milk Chocolate
Drinking Chocolate (Powder)
White Chocolate

So, be careful where you keep that Easter candy, and remember, once your pup smells that chocolate, they may go places to get it, that they've never gone before and sometimes "high up," isn't high enough.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

OMG! I hope that the dog is Ok. How about your daughter? Poor child! I feel sorry for her.

Anonymous said...

Glad I got a dog. Now I have more to worry about! I did know about the chocolate not being good for dogs, so we put all of the chocolate away so that the dog can't get to it. How is he doing now? I hope all is well.