Monday, April 5, 2010

Go Army!

Today at 4:30am, my nephew Chris, left for Army boot camp. I imagine it's a heart-sinking moment when your child announces a desire to join the military. On one hand, I'd be so proud that he wanted to protect our great country, but on the other, I would say, let someone else's child do it.

I can not begin to imagine the sea of emotion that my sister and brother-in-law must be going through. (This makes my stress from my daughter's prom look ridiculous). I suppose it is normal to think the worse when you talk about any branch of the military, but joining the Army doesn't mean an automatic trip to Iraq or Afghanistan.

The Army is the largest of all the branches of the military; every year about 180,000 enlist and another 20,000 become commissioned. There are many different jobs with personnel stationed in places all over the world. Sure, there are certain MOS (jobs) which carry a higher probability of deployment, such as infantry, special ops (special operations) and field artillery, but not all are like this.

The benefits alone are fantastic ranging from medical and dental to a full college tuition. Check them out! When I spoke with Chris on Easter, he seemed excited to go. He told me about all the opportunities that he would have and his interest in many of them. Chris loves skydiving, so the whole paratroopers thing is something that I'm sure he will be looking into.

As Dr. Seuss says, "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" Chris will have the opportunity to travel the U.S and abroad! He will see places that I have never seen, nor ever will. The Army will teach him teamwork, loyalty and respect for others. It will present him with new challenges, give him a sense of pride and the courage to try new things.

If my father, a Marine, were alive today, he would be so proud of Chris. I am proud of Christopher for having chose a career in the military. It is a honorable profession and no matter what you think about the war, it is important to always support our troops.

I will pray everyday for God to look out for him and bring him home safely to us.


Oh! The Places You’ll Go!
by Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away!
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go (readmore)

2 comments:

Gloria said...

Well said, Gwenn. We will keep Chris in our thoughts and prayers.

Karen said...

I love this post! It was well said. Thank You Gwenn :)