Monday, March 29, 2010

Undercover Boss - Fact or Fiction


Has anyone watched Undercover Boss? It's a television reality series on CBS that airs Sunday night at 9pm est. Each episode of the show features a senior executive at a major corporation, working incognito as a new entry-level hire in his or her company for one week, to find out how the company really works, including the impact of "corporate policy" and identify some of the unsung heroes among the employees.

I watched this video 6 times last night and all 6 times, I cried. OMG! What a great show with a great concept. In a time where we are forced to watch reality shows like the Jersey Shore and The Anna Nicole Show, this is a Godsend.

Undercover Boss has been accused of being emotionally manipulative, because it's a prime time entertainment show. But it's also a show about CEOs humbling themselves to perform lower level jobs, at a time when people are suspicious of their powerful. The boss works along side of low level employees to better understand the company and what it takes on the front line to make it run.

I don't think that Undercover Boss is going to do anything widespread to make these featured companies great for their employees, but if they can make things better for only a few people, I for one, would consider this show worthy.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I have only watched one episode so far, but I really enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

I saw the 7-Eleven episode and did enjoy it but I do think it was 'shielded'. I think if the CEO saw a wider variety of his employees he'd be mortified. There are people in every company who don't pull their weight so to speak or who do not actually want to work but, I do understand that it is a show for entertainment purposes and it got the job done.