Friday, March 12, 2010

Inhaling Chocolate - very sweet!


Are you a chocoholic? Do you "live and breathe" chocolate? Well, now it is possible to literally inhale chocolate.

I’ll admit it upfront. I’m a straight up, hard core chocoholic. I can't resist the possiblity of chocolate around 3pm, while sitting at my desk. Although my many attempted and failed diets don't allow this afternoon treat, I may have just found that needle in the haystack.

David Edwards, a Harvard professor and Illinois Institute of Technology graduate, is known in the medical field for his work on inhalable insulin and a potential inhalable TB vaccination.
Now, he's applied that same science to chocolate. He has created a mini-inhaler, called Le Whif, that coats the user's mouth with chocolate particles that are 80 to 300 microns—small enough to shoot out the inhaler, but too big to enter the lungs (and cause choking).

The small gadget carries about (I have read 4 - 8 puffs) for around $2.-$3, and leaves the customer with the taste of chocolate, but hardly any of the calories. Each puff has less than one calorie!

The inhaler can be carries in your pocket and is convenient enough, so that you get the taste of chocolate anytime you want. Not to mention, your hands never get dirty. Edwards said that he has no intentions of stopping at chocolate. He is considering other flavors, like spices, soups, and maybe even vegetables or meats.

For me, its not about enjoying the chocolate bar. I don't. It's gone in less than a minute after it is unleashed. It's about the taste and this seems like the long awaited solution. I most likely will not be a fan of, nor try the veggies and meat spray, I mean, what would be the point if it doesn't deliver the nutritional value. But, the chocolate? Well, that has no nutritional value either way.

I will be on the look out for my tiny little inhaler this weekend!

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I think I still need my real chocolate, but this is interesting.

Karen said...

I agree with Gloria because I too enjoy actually eating the chocolate (of any kind- I'm not very picky) but this is interesting and I would try it.