Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Wrestler's Mom


Today, I am anxious, excited and nervous. Because today my "baby" boy will head to New Haven, CT to meet 16 other mother's "baby" boys for 2-days of wrestling, to see who is the best in Connecticut! There will be hundreds of boys there doing the same thing in other weight classes, and I will feel for each and every one of them.

I try and tell myself, it really doesn't matter whether Casey wins or loses. But, it does. If it didn't, I wouldn't feel this way. No, it doesn't matter to me, but it matters to him, so it matters to me. I will love him as much on Saturday night as I do right now...maybe even more win or lose. (That's Casey on top in the picture. My Champion on and off the mat).

I am nervous for him though. I suppose it's because, for months, I have watched him practice for 2 or more hours Monday-Friday like it's his job. I have watched him skip meal after meal to lose weight or stay on weight, run in the cold, the snow and in the rain. I have watch him work hard to keep up his grades, spend time with his family and friends and keep all the planets in his world aligned.

I have seen the determination in his eyes as a prepares for his match, his dedication to his team and to his coach. I have seen his cheers when he wins and his tears when it all just gets to be too much. I am proud of his undefeated record this year as a Freshman on the Varsity team, but even more proud of the young man that he has become. This poem from Jo-Ann says it all about what it's like to be a wrestler's Mom.



A Wrestler's Biggest Fan
by Jo-Ann Innis


That's my little boy, mat two on deck

He's the one who tries to look so confident, while I sit here a wreck

I sit watching nervously, biting my nails and shaking in my seat

Praying for a victory and not a quick defeat

Please don't let him be hurt, please let him be all right

After all this is why he practices so hard most every night

I'll just suffer through it and give him my support

Wondering why sometimes, he ever chose this sport

But when it's finally over and he makes it through "the three"

Nothing can beat the look on his face, that look of VICTORY!

The look that says, "I did it, hey mom did you see?"

And when the ref holds up his hand I know why he chose this sport

And when the victory goes the other way, I still give him my support

There's always next time as long as you try, a mom never fails to say

You're always a champion in my eyes son, and you'll always be that way

A mom is a wrestler's biggest fan, cause she knows what's in his heart

She knows his dedication and how he tries so hard

It's hard for a mom to sit and watch as her son gets pinned

And it's hard not to get emotional as you watch your baby win

Seeing his eyes search for you while you're sitting in the stands

Making sure you saw every move turn out just the way he planned

Because every wrestler knows, that his mom is his biggest fan!

3 comments:

Donna said...

Well said Gwenn!!

Gloria said...

My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you this weekend. Go Casey! Casey, you are a winner no matter what the outcome this weekend.

Jaycie said...

I found your post when I was writing a similar one for my blog...isn't being a wrestler's mom a tough sport??! But I wouldn't miss out on it for anything. I enjoyed your comments!