Saturday, February 13, 2010

I'm back and Spoutin Out!


I hope you are all doing well! I have missed writing to you and I am glad to be back! So much has happened since I've left. Not good, not bad, just "life" stuff. You know, we all have it.

In addition to my busy life working full-time and running three kids around, my oldest daughter and I have been researching colleges. Yikes! She has spent much of her time dreaming, while I on the other hand, have spent much of my time freakin'! After all, we don't have 4oK a year to send her to college.

I look back and wonder why I've spent so much time drilling into my children's heads the importance of college. What was I thinking!? It sounded good at the time. Now with the economy like it is and the rising cost of colleges....not so much.

Anywho, it appears the drilling has worked and my daughter has no interest in staying home with me for the rest of her life, so it is time to fulfill the 16-year old promise (thankfully, I have 1 more year). As a Junior, we are now in the "research" stag. It is so overwhelming and at times, I just want to shut down. There are so many sites, so many options, so many opinions and I have SO many questions! I get frustrated and confused bouncing from site to site and even great sites like Collegeboard.com and The Princeton Review, are overwhelming to me.

I have spent the last few weeks on an endless search to find that perfect site. A site that will baby me, hold my hand and provide me with step by step instructions the entire way. A site that will promise me that she will get a great education and a great life experience while remaining safe and happy. A site that will help me to not freak out about the cost, nor that fact that I am going to miss her so much.

We began by narrowing our search down 10 schools based on public vs. private, major, school size, location and spirit (that one is important to my daughter). I picked the number 10 out of a hat, there is no magic number. I suppose once we get to 10 we will have to narrow down even more as I have no intentions of visiting 10 school, nor can I afford it, if they are not within driving distance.

Sound easy? It's not. Not when her Dad wants her to stay in the Northeast and the Northeast alone has too many choices! That on top of the fact that her Mom (me) wants her to go South!
Stay tuned for more of our nightmare, I mean journey and please feel free to share your journey
with me!

1 comment:

Gloria said...

welcome back! It is so confusing when it comes to deciding on what college you choose. So much to think about. I will pray for you to make a good decision.