Monday, February 15, 2010

Vacation Crossroad


I know it's only February, but if we want to go on vacation this summer, we have to start saving now. We have don't have any credit cards, so if we don't save ~ we don't go.

My family wants to drive to Florida again this year and visit Disney, Universal and Islands of Adventure, etc. I love Florida and I know that Disney is, "The Happiest Place on Earth," but we tend to go there almost ever year and how many times can a Mom be asked to see Mickey Mouse?

As much as I would love to get away for an adult vacation, I love vacationing with my kids even more. And, as they get older, I really treasure that time. Since they were toddlers, I've always believed that if they were happy on vacation, we would be and for the most part that has been true. This year however, I have decided that, if MOM is happy, they will be.

So, if we can swing it, we are taking a cruise. USA Today reported that if you are thinking about booking a cruise for 2010, you might want to do it sooner rather than later. Industry watchers say ships are filling up faster than they did last year, and that means prices could be heading up. If the prices head up, our vacation will consist of sailing a toy boat in the pool in our own backyard.

We've never been on a cruise, but know a lot of people who have. I know that summer is not the best time to go, but with three kids in school, and two of them in high school, pulling them out for a week is no longer an option. Although, I do miss the days when we did.

If you are considering a cruise, you should check out vacationstogo.com. It's a really cool site that allows you to search all cruise lines. You can narrow your search by region, port to visit, travel date, line, ship name, departure port, etc. The site gathers your search results and displays them on one very organized page for you...cutting down your search time by hours! You should check them out. Oh, you will have to enter your email address, but that's it. It is very safe and they don't bombard you with junk mail. I have been a member for years. (If only there was a list like this for those college tuition prices!)

If you know of any great deals sailing out of FL this summer, let me know. Also, if you know of any cruise lines or spots we should stay away from, let me know that too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My sister went on a cruise out of Boston to Bermuda last summer. They loved it so much they are thinking about doing it again this summer. Bermuda is a beautiful island, more beautiful than most of the islands in the Carribean...in my opinion. And leaving out of Boston saves the expense and time of flying or driving to Florida.