Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fairy tale wedding...

I could start this post out by telling you a story about a bride, a groom and their fairy tale wedding, but I’d be lying.

Let me rewind. My family and I arrived at my nieces wedding on Saturday a little before the noon start. While waiting and mingling with the others, we heard that many of Lindsay and George’s guests were stranded by hurricane warnings on the East Coast and would be unable to make the wedding. My own brother and his family finally got a flight out of New York at 2am. Arriving to Florida somewhere around 5am and then after getting their luggage and car began their 1 ½ hour drive. They were exhausted, but they made it. How horrible for Lindsay and George to have so many people not with them on their special day. As it turns out, that would have been the good news. Keep reading...

The day was beautiful! Guests lined the two docks that lead to the gazebo where Lindsay and George would be married. The music began and in came the wedding party. First the parents of the groom, then the mother and brother of the bride followed by the beautiful bridesmaids and handsome groomsmen. Oh, to be young again. It was so romantic.

My eyes filled with tears as Dan (my brother-in-law) walked Lindsay down the isle. I couldn't help but think of my own children and how bittersweet this must be for parents. But, you couldn't have ask for a nicer day. The sun was shining, the sky was a perfect shade of blue with white puffy clouds and everyone looked so nice.

The ceremony moved quickly with Lindsay and George preparing to say their vows (my fave part). My throat began to choke up with excitement. This was it, the moment when our “little” Lindsay would become a wife and then….plunk. Yup. I said it, plunk. The wedding ring went right into the lake. I joined the other guests in a collective gasp. We all watched in disbelief as George hit the ground in a last ditch effort to grab the diamond wedding band. No one moved. As George slowly stood up with his head in his hands, I cried. We all just watched and waited. Without hesitating, Lindsay took George’s arm in her hands as if to say, it's okay, let’s just keep going. Just then her dad stepped forward and handed George his ring and the ceremony continued.

I was so proud of Lindsay and George. So many things could have happened at that point, but they went on, both with a smile on their face. Whether they were fake smiles or not, none of us will ever know, but if their strength together that day is a glimpse into their future, they are going to be just fine.

As my sister-in-law said afterwards, it was as if her dad had come to her rescue one last time. Not necessarily true however, her dad came to her rescue one more time when he had divers search the murky lake to find the ring and, that is just what they did.

Did I say this was NOT a fairy tale wedding? That is exactly what it was.



More pics of "our" fairly tale wedding.









5 comments:

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh my goodness...how stressful! So glad they found the ring. What a story to tell.

Gloria said...

Let's hope that their troubles are behind them and they can "live happily ever after!"

Karen said...

Hey Gwennie, What a great write up! It was a wonderful day with all our family and friends (that could make it). The entire weekend was so much fun. Tomorrow the newlyweds will be home and then George can put that ring on her finger-on dry ground! ha ha ha

Unknown said...

It definitely was a perfect day despite all the imperfections...one to go down in the record books for sure :)

Ellen Boland said...

Hey Gwenn, that was put perfectly! Thanks for posting the story so people that couldn't be there could share in the beautiful day too. I bet Lindsay can't wait to get home and get that ring on her finger.