Thursday, May 13, 2010

Why do we pay auto insurance anyway?


I hate auto insurance! Late in December, I backed into a friend's car in my driveway causing $3000.00 of damage to the other vehicle. Not having $3000.00 in my bank account to pay out of pocket, we had to claim it on our insurance.

What I didn't know at the time was, that the other accident I had in 2007 (where I again, backed into a car) combined with the accident in 2009, took us out of the premium pool and moved us to a high risk pool. These two little 5mph fender benders caused my auto insurance to go from approx $1700.00 a year to over $7,000.00 a year! Let me say that again, over $7,000.00 a year! $7,000.00! You get it, right?

I know you are thinking I don't know what I am talking about, but I called 6 times for clarification, getting the same answer every time, therefore validating that we are officially ~ screwed! And I tell my kids not to talk like that.

Now, let's be fair to Geico. I did add my daughter as a new teen driver and a 10-year old car to the policy, but after hearing that figure, one of them had to go and since I can't get rid of the girl, it had to be the car. I asked the rep about dropping the car and asked how much that would save me. She said that if we removed the 3rd car from the policy that our insurance would go up $474.00. Yup. Up. I asked her to repeat herself and to explain. She said that the coverage on the 1st and 2nd car was higher than the 3rd car and putting the new driver on either the 1st or 2nd would cost more. Good Grief!

Sadly, this is not even related to my teenager. That was only going to be about another $700 for the year.

Needless to say, I have started shopping around. I did find one agency that is quoting around $3500.00 as long as they can write our homeowners policy. If they can come in at that price, they can write whatever they want.

I jokingly told the Geico representative that I was going to relinquish my license and get a bike. However, she quickly informed me that they would charge me for insurance anyway, because I was married and living in the same house as my husband. Isn't that where you are suppose to live when your married? Who the hell makes up these rules!?

Oh well. It's not the end of the world, just the end of the bank account, food, heat, new shoes for the kids and oil, but hey, you need insurance. After all, someone has to pay for those fender benders. Oh yeah, that's right....we do.

But, ya gotta love that Gecko.

2 comments:

Gloria said...

OMG! the insurance companies sure know how to "get" us, don't they!

Radical Reina said...

Well the whole under the same roof thing is not true if you dont drive you dont drive tell them you dont have a current liscense anymore. LOL I would get a 100th opinion