Thursday, June 11, 2009

Surviving long car rides

I am counting the days until I arrive in Florida to see my niece Lindsay get married! I am so excited for her and can’t wait to see her, but I am not counting the days that will begin our trek of terror.

All families face the day in which they must take that long car trip. I know some families that think nothing of hopping in the car for cross country trip, but we are not one of them. Although I love to travel and I love my kids, not necessarily in that order, I do not love long car rides.

My husbands says that he will drive most of the trip, but being a passenger in a car requires a certain amount of skill and experience and I am not sure I am up for the challenge. Riding shotgun for me is like being stabbed with thousands of tiny needles. Can you picture it now? Me, sitting at the right hand of the king, armed with an overwhelming amount of responsibility:

1. Keeper of the Map. Responsible for the vehicles navigation by assisting in reading road signs, mile markers, exit signs and detours. Oh wait, we have a GPS, so never mind that.

2. DJ. Responsible for swapping the media, changing the station, fiddling with the volume and performing other necessary entertainment tweaks. Oh wait; all three kids have iPods, so never mind that.

3. Secretary of the Treasury. Responsible for tolls and for digging for just the right amount of change that is listed on that very tiny toll ticket that I can not read without my glasses, which I can never seem to find. Actually, now that I think of it, we have a Fast Pass, so never mind that one too.

4. Referee. Sending the fighters, I mean kids, back to their respective corners when they have had so much family quality time that they are ready to beat one another. Oh, now finally a job that technology can't take from me!

With some planning and the knowledge that it is the journey, not the destination that makes a trip, I know we will have a fantastic time and make memories that will last a lifetime. Buckle up! "Are we there yet?"

1 comment:

karen said...

You crack me up! Where and when did you learn to write anyway. You are what Grandma would call "comical". ha ha I can't wait to see you all. Love, Karen xo