Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jon and Kate....not my definition of "reality"

Who is NOT watching or reading anything and everything about Jon and Kate plus 8? My girls got me hooked a few seasons ago and for awhile, I really enjoyed watching them raise the twins and sextuplets and the trials they faced, but somewhere along the way, the fun-to-watch reality show turned into a not-so-fun money making show.

What started as a family of eight children living a "normal" life with Jon working full-time and Kate staying home to take care of the kids became a Jon staying home to take care of the kids and Kate going out on "tour."

I don't know about you, but my "reality" is not supported by speaking engagements, sponsorships and a cut of a reality show. There was a time when I could empathize with their struggles and all the problems that came with raising a large family, but not anymore. My life raising three children on a shoe string budget is more of a struggle than theirs and I would venture to say, other than the noise, a lot more challenging too. I wish I had the help they have, a driver to take me places, a nice big house, all their "toys" and enough money to do what I wanted! Do I really want to watch another show about a rich family, even if they do have a lot of kids? Nah.

And Monday's episode! Did you see that one? That really made me mad. Until then I felt sorry for them. After all, they didn't know the show would get so big and how could they possibly know what to expect or how to handle their new found fame? If I had eight kids to raise, I would have said yes to TLC too, but they changed along the way and when I heard Kate apologize to Duff of Charm City Cakes for "acting like a fan" when the kids surprised her with a surprise birthday celebration at Duff's place, I had heard enough from Kate.

Maybe she forgot it was her fans that got her a 5th season, a big house, free motorcycles, fourwheels and all those freebies and I suppose in a sense, it's the fans that can take it all away.

Bitter? Maybe, but I do wish them well.....for the kid's sake.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So true! I didn't even watch this Monday because I watched the season premier and had had enough. Those poor kids and they can't even do anything about it. You'd think their parents would stand up for their best interests. Clearly the show has torn their family apart. So sad...

Wendyburd1 said...

I know what you mean, I have seen them from the beginning episodes, so I saw them struggling, even though they had so many volunteers, they didn't even have to fold their own laundry, but this new home is a palace and they don't have to work work anymore, they make that much. I try to remember it WILL get harder when they have 8 teenagers and 8 kids to put through college and can only hope Kate really is saving all this for her kids futures. The two adults are making me sick, John off in Utah, and Kate meeting Duff! And she should be KIND about fans, we got her that new house! But the kids have done nothing and they are why I truly like the show, they are so cute!